Recovery from trauma is not simply about healing the mind but about healing the body as well. Often the approach when treating trauma is solely focused on the mental and emotional effects and fails to address the physiological imbalances that trauma leaves behind on our bodies.
In Dr. Arielle Schwartz’s newest book “Therapeutic Yoga for Trauma Recovery: Applying the Principles of Polyvagal Theory for Self-Discovery, Embodied Healing, and Meaningful Change”, she guides the reader using yoga practices to help release the burdens of trauma and begin the journey of healing the psyche and the body. The book utilizes a variety of principles to provide a deeper understanding of how our bodies and brains react to stress and trauma leaving the reader feeling informed and empowered.
Listen to our conversation with psychologist & author Dr. Arielle Schwartz as we learn about the importance of embodied healing in treating and recovering from trauma.
- LISTEN NOW: Bear Psychology Podcast on Apple Podcasts
Dr. Arielle Schwartz, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist, prolific author, wife and mother with a passion for treating individuals with trauma. Dr. Schwartz runs a private clinic where she treats clients as well as trains other therapists in her Resilience-Informed Therapy approach for helping people recover after experiencing trauma. She has also been teaching therapeutic yoga since 2008 with a specific focus on nervous systems recovery after trauma.
Dr. Schwartz’s is also the author of “The Complex PTSD Treatment Manual: An Integrative, Mind-Body Approach to Trauma Recovery” which guides clinicians through successfully treating patients who have had prolonged exposure to traumatic situations. The manual focuses on utilizing mindful body awareness to build distress tolerance, cultivate self-compassion, and facilitate trauma recovery drawing from Dr. Schwartz’s own years of experience in the field. She is also the author of “Therapeutic Yoga for Trauma Recovery: Applying the Principles of Polyvagel Theory for Self-Discovery, Embodied Healing and Meaningful Change”.
If you are interested in Dr. Schwartz’s insights on healing from trauma using both the mind and body, this show is for you.
Links & Resources:
- For more information about Dr. Schwartz’s books visit: https://drarielleschwartz.com/books-by-dr-schwartz/
- To purchase the books visit: https://tinyurl.com/5dbhjk66
- For more about Dr. Arielle Schwartz: https://drarielleschwartz.com/dr-arielle-schwartz/
- Find Dr. Arielle Schwartz’s Blog here: https://drarielleschwartz.com/arielles-blog/
- Dr. Schwartz’s Trainings and Presentations: https://drarielleschwartz.com/trainingspresentations/
Materials to Reference:
- Therapeutic Yoga: https://drarielleschwartz.com/therapeutic-yoga-classes-in-boulder/
- Learn about Resilience Informed Therapy: https://drarielleschwartz.com/resilience-informed-therapy/
- Somatic Therapy for PTSD: https://drarielleschwartz.com/somatic-therapy/
- EMDR as a Treatment for PTSD: https://drarielleschwartz.com/emdr-as-a-treatment-for-ptsd/
- Play Therapy Principles: https://drarielleschwartz.com/play-therapy/play-therapy-principles/
Access “Compassion Fatigue Resiliency & Recovery” with Dr. Anna Baranowsky & Dr. J. Eric Gentry. You can find the audio recording at:
Access the complete “Trauma Recovery NOW!” audio program at.